The eye opening thing is, this was never a conscious decision; however, there were moments when I realised this was happening and chose to ignore it. What I've come to know for sure though, is that playing small does not suit me at all. Does it suit you?
Most people tip toe through life, hoping they'll make it safely to death. Bob Proctor
When I carefully examined why I was doing what I was doing, all I can tell you is that it had a whole lot to do with fear. Specifically, the fear of:
- Being judged (who does she think she is?)
- What will be said behind my back
- Failure (failing and then having to live down the failure)
- Being a gossip hot topic
- What people will think
- Being criticised
Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear – George Addair
Here are a few questions to ask yourself to better understand if you're hiding and or living on dim. Remember that being really honest with yourself may be a little difficult initially (love yourself anyway) but will do you a whole lot of good.
- Do I have "big" dreams for my life? If yes, what are they?
- Am I working toward them? If yes - fantastic. If not, how come?
- Do I often hide my opinion and not share how I really feel?
- Do I catch myself wondering what people think of me and how they view me?
- Do I have a list of things that I'd like to do, have or achieve but I talk myself out of taking action?
- Am I more concerned with what people think of me rather than what I think of myself?
Good. You've answered these questions honestly and from the heart. If many of your answers happen to be "yes", "most of the time" or some other affirmative response for questions 3 through 6, you are likely living your life or some parts of your life on dim and you know what? You are certainly not alone. Now that you are aware, take action - walk if you must, run if you must but take some sort of ACTION. If you're unsure as to what action to take, may I humbly suggest Jack Canfield's Success Principle Numero Uno - Take 100% Responsibility For Your Life.
On the contrary, if most of your answers are "no", "hell no", "definitely not" or some answer along these lines, you're likely shining bright like a diamond - please continue to do so.
...As we let our light shine, we unconsciously give people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence actually liberates others. Marianne Williamson
In the meantime...Give thanks. Eat clean. Sleep deep